Data Center Power Management
Nagapramod Mandagere and David Du
Digital Technology Center Intelligent Storage Consortium (DISC)
Server power management
Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling (DVFS)
Request Batching – a process that tradeoffs performance/responsiveness for power savings
Heterogeneity Aware Provisioning – a model based approach which tries to minimize the ratio of overall power consumption and throughput of the entire heterogeneous server cluster
Storage power management
Research domains for magnetic disks
1. Adaptive spin down or sleep transitioning
2. Dynamic modulation of rotation speed – dynamic rotation control
3. Caching aid – optimizing data layout (PDC and MAID) and Read/Write Caching (PALRU and PBLRU)
4. New media type – NAND-based flash memory
• EERAID and PARAID
Future outstanding research issues
1. Research in understanding the tradeoffs between reliability, performance, and power consumption
2. Substituting other types of storage devices in place of power hungry SCSI and FC drives or mixing several types of storage devices in storage hierarchy
3. Research in integrating SSD and hybrid drives into enterprise storage systems
HVAC power management – Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- ► 2017 (33)
- ► 2016 (29)
- ► 2015 (27)
- ► 2014 (15)
- ► 2013 (24)
- ► 2011 (147)
- ► 2010 (170)
- Nelder-Mead method
- What is Simplex?
- Audi Shark
- What is CCI?
- LG LGenius Innovations Keynote Highlights
- Disk Scheduling In Linux
- MB_ICONSTOP makes a sound that associated with thi...
- DFTL: A Flash Translation Layer Employing Demand-b...
- uFLIP: Understanding Flash IO Patterns
- Non Volatile Cache Command Proposal for ATA8-ACS
- NAND Flash Memory and Its Role in Storage Architec...
- Advances in Magnetic Data Storage Technologies
- Data Center Power Management
- Recent Advancements and Future Challenges of Stora...
- Blurring the Line Between Oses and Storage Devices...
- SANDISK INTRODUCES ExtremeFFS – NEW FLASH MANAGEME...
- Semantically-Smart Disk Systems
- μ-tree: an ordered index structure for NAND flash ...
- A Reconfigurable FTL (Flash Translation Layer) Arc...
- Design Tradeoffs for SSD Performance
- A log buffer based flash translation layer using f...
- A superblock-based flash translation layer for NAN...
- Large Block CLOCK (LB-CLOCK) Algorithm: An Improve...
- A Log-based Flash Translation Layer for. LargeNAND...
- LGeDBMS: A Small DBMS for Embedded System with Fla...
- Intel Corporation. Understanding the Flash Transla...
- Endurance Enhancement of Flash-Memory Storage, Sys...
- M-Systems. Technical Note: TrueFFS Wear-Leveling M...
- M-Systems. Quick Reference Guide: TrueFFS 6.x Soft...
- A Transactional Flash File System for Microcontrol...
- Eviction Based Cache Placement for Storage Caches
- Belady's MIN in cache
- Exercise 16.3.5 - Introduction to Algorithms
- ▼ March (33)